Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Update: Infection, Antibiotics and Recovery


I have been on hiatus since my last post due to a number of reasons but mainly to the infection that came up around my tube insertion.  Back in July when my doctors insisted on me getting the feeding tube in order to put some healthy weight back on, infection was my biggest fear.  Luckily, this one wasn't so bad.  It took me on a trip to the ER over the weekend the moment I saw the redness spreading out, taking care of it before taking a dive for the worse.  I was given an IV antibiotic right away and a week of take home antibiotics.

What is really scary is the fact that I probably got the infection, most likely Staph, in the hospital a few days prior.  I was there to have a wound care nurse help me remove the stat lock that held my tube down and show me how to use tape in place of it.  A few hours after leaving the hospital a small abscess appeared next the the tube.  The doctor treating me in the ER admitted this was more than likely the cause.  Yikes!  Hospitals are helpful when we need them but seriously, they can cause just as many if not more problems.
Today was my first day off the medicine and I'm powering myself up with probiotics to replenish the good bacteria most likely lost this past week.  If fact, the most frustrating part about being on antibiotics is the havoc they play on the GI tract, the last thing anyone with GP needs.  A combination of acupuncture, ginger, minimal sugar and daily walks have helped.
In addition I have also begun to include coconut oil as a main source of fat, which among the many health benefits is boosting the immune system.  My next post will cover some of the research I've collected and my own experience with it.  Despite having to follow a low-fat diet, this seems to be one fat that is easy to digest. The secrets behind this crazy talk will come soon!
In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the last days of warm sunshine here in the Northwest and get my digestion back on track. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment