Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Acupuncture and GP

Acupuncture has been an essential part of maintaining my symptoms, particularly nausea and appetite.  I encourage anyone who has the option to do some research on a good practitioner in your area and give it a try.  Weekly visits could significantly improve not only symptoms but state of mind.  Often assosciated with gastroparesis is an increase in anxiety and depression as well as insomnia.  On treatment days I can eat more, have increase in energy and sleep better.


Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) originated in China over 5,000 years ago and is one of the most complex, highly developed traditional healing systems in the world.  It is based on the belief that we carry a vital energy called "qi", which circulates through the body via twelve pathways known as meridians, each associated with a different organ system.  According to TCM, good health exists when the internal body is balanced and harmonized and its "Qi" is flowing freely through the internal pathways.  An imbalance in the flow of qi throughout a meridian is how disease begins.  By inserting needles into specific points along the meridians balance can be restored.  For example, there are points that help move energy through the stomach meridian in areas local to the stomach as well as down the meridian below the knee. 
    Link to study done on diabetic related gastroparesis:  
        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15510787    
Acupuncture has been shown to:
  • Release pain-relieving endorphins and neurotransmitters 
  • Influence the autonomic nervous system
  • Stimulate circulation  
  • According to the World Health Organization (WHO) it is used in the maintenance of health and in the prevention, diagnosis, improvement or treatment of physical and mental illness
To find a nationally certified practitioner in your area go to http://www.nccaom.org/.
Let me know how it goes!

4 comments:

  1. Hi!! I love that I came across this post... a big focus on my blog is Chinese Medicine, as I'm in my 3rd (of 4) year studying it! Would you be interested in writing a guest post for my blog... highlighting more of your personal experience with acupuncture? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this and yes, I would love to do a guest post on the subject of acupuncture. I too was a student and still very passionate about it. That's so exciting you are in your 3rd year, way to go! You can use the contact me at the top of the page to reach me by email. In the meantime I'll put together some more information about my personal experience.
      :)

      Delete
  2. it works!! i went yesterday on my second time and it took my nausia away with in 15 minutes!!... i wish insurace cover this is expensive but at the end it works. Some people actually get cured 100% i know of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post regarding acupuncture therapy. I was looking for reviews about this therapy and finally found one. I need to treat my anxiety disorder and was considering this therapy. Planning to go to a good acupuncture-mississauga clinic for treatment next week.

    ReplyDelete