Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Grain-Free Pumpkin Pancakes


This time of year I can't get enough of this delicious, nutrient dense, GP-friendly food!  Pumpkin is an excellent source of vitamin A (1 cup has 760% of the daily value!) as well as vitamin C, iron, and calcium.  The variety of ways to use it are endless, for example adding a scoop to hot cereal, smoothies, soup, etc.  Most recently I experimented with a recipe for a protein rich breakfast that would include the pumpkin love.  The result was a light and fluffy crepe like pancake, with plenty of fall flavor!

Adapted from Practical Paleo
Makes 2 GP servings

 
Ingredients
2 eggs ( 1 egg + 2 whites if wanting to lower the fat content)
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice + 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt + 1/8 tsp baking soda
coconut oil 
                                                                                                                   
Whisk eggs, pumpkin, vanilla, and maple syrup together.  Sift spices and baking soda into the wet ingredients.  Melt a small amount of coconut oil over medium heat and allow it to lightly spread over the pan.  Spoon batter in skillet to make pancakes of your desired size.  When bubbles appear, flip once to finish cooking.  Serve with some yogurt for a nice breakfast or can also be great as a snack.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I'll let you know how it turns out when I try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, I look forward to hearing what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are yummy~lious!!!! And, its one more treat I can cook and share with my gr~daughter : ) Thank you Stephanie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it! It's different, but it's good knowing I can eat it and it won't mess up my stomach. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooops, can I refrigerate the leftover batter to make the next day? How long would it keep? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete