Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Under the Weather Yet Overly Thankful

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
Theodore Roosevelt

This is my husband Trevor's daily advice, in so many words.  When I read it today on my daily quote page it could not feel more true.  It is Thanksgiving Eve and instead of being on the road to Idaho to spend time with family, I'm home dealing with a chest cold.  As if having GP around the holidays isn't challenging enough.  Interesting, I've been able to avoid getting sick the last year despite going through severe weight loss, stress and multiple hospital procedures.  Now, when I'm finally starting to gain weight and feel better, the terrible bug going around finds its way in, ugh!


Does anyone else feel like their stomach symptoms get worse when sick?  A few others I've discussed this with seem to think so.  Maybe our bodies just don't have the resistance they used to.  Another theory could be the lack of movement and exercise that goes along with being under the weather.  For myself, symptoms are relieved when I go for a 20-30 min walk after meals or at least try to get in one walk a day.  The last few days, however, have been spent lying around resting and avoiding the chilly outdoors.

Two nights ago we had a storm come through, rain pitter pattering against the window panes, wind whistling along the rooftop and blowing the trees of any remaining autumn leaves.  T brought me a mug of homemade chicken soup infused with herbs de provence, layers of soft fleece blankets, my current read (shamelessly admit to being Twilight, gasp) and popped in season 3 of Sex in the City.  I could not ask for a better remedy.
When I woke up this morning, better but still coughing and sniffling, he made the decision to cancel the trip to be with his family.  I fought back tears and insisted he go, not wanting to be yet another reason he misses out on life.  His sacrifices have been countless over the years yet he continues to do so with love and support, telling me not to worry about him and take care of myself.  He refused to leave and told me we would make the best of it here at home.  Of course the tears broke through at that point, more sad for him than myself.

Here we are this afternoon, me and my pumpkin potato soup (taking in a little Thanksgiving where I can!) sharing my thoughts with the world; and him, smiling at me across the room as he continues to remind me to "do what we can, where we are, with what we have."  And right now, despite feeling under the weather in so many ways I am overly grateful for what I have.  Thank you wonderful husband!

What are you thankful for this year?

Stephanie

1 comment: