Friday, September 27, 2013

Heading into Fall

Wow, is October really only a few days away?!  This month (not to mention summer) has flown by but all with good intentions.  September was dedicated to the GP Awareness Walk, which was incredible, followed by more t-shirt orders, donations and putting all of the stats/photos together for the Digestive Health Alliance.  

Last Saturday I woke up feeling pretty good and spent the entire day out supporting my husband and friends at a relay race called the Bellingham Traverse.  It involves a trail run-mountain bike-road bike-road run-kayak.  My dream (amongst many) is to one day take part in this, most likely the road biking.  Seeing everyone there really gave me even more motivation and hope to fight this digestive battle through raising awareness and continuing to explore treatment options (including the ongoing self care plan).  One day I dream to be in it and not on the sidelines.  For now, the sidelines are acceptable though and I must be okay with that.  Sometimes accepting the current situation is the hardest battle.  It's finding that balance between what is and the hope for what may.

If you follow this journey on Facebook then you may know that I've been battling an ugly flu/cold.  After 2+ years of not getting sick I guess I can't be too upset.  In fact, the weather turned just in time when I woke up Sunday to a sore throat and a cool, rainy day.  Perfect for soup making.  A fan of homemade broth, I made what I call kick-the-cold soup, GP style.  Ingredients are simple and include broth, carrots, zucchini, a little white rice, herbs, ginger and small amount of protein such as chicken or shrimp.  Living on this over the week has surprisingly calmed my stomach down after some bad flares.  I'm thankful soup season is here, along with the comforting foods of fall.  

There is lots to share as we head into fall.  I'm excited to post a story from my very first client who has overcome challenges and found ways to drastically improve her symptoms over the past year. Look for this and a giveaway of her favorite GP drink, Orgain, next week via the newsletter and blog!
Also, I will be announcing my plans for a trip to Arizona during the last half of October, exploring some treatment for both the body and mind (and soul if we really get down to it).  The decision has yet to be made whether or not I will be blogging the experience during the trip or when I return.  There is a part of me that feels it may be best to take this time away from the world of computers.  If that is the case, I most definitely plan on journaling and sharing after.
On another note, what ingredient would you like to see used in the fall newsletter recipe? I've been on the kick-the-cold soup-a-thon which is nourishing anytime, but open to ideas 
Feel free to share thoughts and opinions or on the FB post.

Enjoy the weekend and if you haven't signed up for the newsletter you can do so here!

2 comments:

  1. You are my hero Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think taking in the experience and using the time to focus is why you are going, so wait until you get back to blog. Or...if self reflection is part of the treatment...then you might want to blog, partially. I think it all depends.

    ReplyDelete