Saturday, November 22, 2014

Baked Breakfast Sausage

In the last post I interviewed Crystal Saltrelli for her new book Eating for Gastroparesis, to which I promised to share her and her families favorite recipe - Baked Breakfast Sausage.  Of course I had to experience it myself so last week I made it exactly as she shared on the book cover, served with her Quick and Easy Pancakes (pg.92) and added a small serving of Daily Green Juice (pg.94).  The recipes were all quite simple and the best part was that it made enough to freeze for last minute meals in the future.


This was a delicious breakfast and it felt like a real meal I could easily make for others to enjoy as well.  In fact, when my friend's kids came over for a sleepover last weekend, I secretly served the pancakes (gluten free and dairy free) in place of the usual white flour recipe I would normally make.  We added blueberries and a dash of maple syrup and they loved them, no questions asked!  

The sausage has a perfect combination of both savory and sweet and packs a good amount of protein to start the day.  Here is what Crystal has to say:

"I hadn't had breakfast sausage in nearly a decade before I came up with the idea to make my own with lean meat and FODMAP-friendly spices.  It's now a breakfast staple in our house and I'm happy to have it back!  Adjust the seasonings to your taste."

Enjoy the recipe and let us know what you think!

Ingredients

1 lb lean ground meat (turkey, chicken, beef, pork)
1 Tbsp maple syrup, optional
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp ground sage
3/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up.  
2. Mix all ingredients by hand in a bowl. 
3. Form into 8 small patties.  Place on baking sheet.
4. Cook for 10 minutes.  Flip patties and rotate pan.
5. Bake 10 more minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.    

No comments:

Post a Comment