Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Hope and Inspiration Part 2 - Essential7 Oils and Support

In the previous post I shared some pretty amazing stories of recovery and as promised will share more in a moment.  I woke up with some thoughts about how to talk about these approaches, being I myself still struggle quite a bit.  The last thing I want to do is provide false hope or offend anyone. So, just a brief idea of where I'm coming from as five years of blog posts may be a lot to review or remember!
How can I describe what my body has felt like over the years?  Since no one actually sees what is going on inside why should we expect them to understand?  Sure there are a few signs on the really bad days, like the dark circles lurching under my eyes, hands gently rubbing over an aching belly, perhaps short little moans of discomfort here and there, and that pale, blank face, which of course blends in well during the cool, damp Washington winter.  But I would pretty much have to announce every day, whether on social media, or imagine this - walking around out in public in the real world, screaming, "I'm in so much pain, it hurts to eat, why do I feel so sick?!!!"  But seriously, who really wants to hear that?

Instead, I will occasionally complain to those closest to me, cry to my therapist, and then write about it from time to time.  But just like something I recently read, "The best thing you can do is to keep going."  Yep, that's basically what it comes down to.  Eight years have gone by and so have many medications, procedures, diets, labs, stacks of medical bills, supplements, acupuncture and massage visits, hospital stays, etc, etc, etc.  Then it just circles right back around to searching for acceptance. Not to accept this is my life forever because I do believe miracles can happen.  But for the sake of sanity, knowing that today is just today is enough to think about, right?!

Then something or someone comes along and shines down a glimmer of hope.  Yesterday I shared with you a few stories from 3 others who, in the past, suffered greatly with motility disorders and digestive distress.  Who were able to overcome it enough not only to get their life back but to now actually live their life.  So today I want to introduce you to a new approach (at least for myself) and to Essential7.  I'll share some about how they got started, what their vision looks like and my experience so far.  You will find some simple ways to give this a try and a few tips on small changes that may be helpful to manage your own symptoms.

It all started when an acquaintance sent me a message about how much better she had been feeling lately and how I should check out a group on FB to learn more.  I joined the group, Healing Gastroparesis Naturally, with an open mind yet slightly skeptical after years of trying "natural" approaches.  There are a number of files available to read through and so I began with some of the testimonials which were fascinating enough to peak my interest.  I was advised by others on the site, who were quick to answer questions and provide some insight, to check out the Quick Printable Guide.  This is an overview of exactly how essential oils work (uh, how did I not know how fascinating this was before?!), ideas for getting started as well as a number of other lifestyle tips. After reading over this a few times I thought, "What's to lose?".  It's actually so affordable I couldn't not give it a try.  By the end of the week I received a package of the recommended oils from Essential7 and was ready to give it a go.  Hey, if anything at least I would smell good!

I contacted the owner, Chalyce Macoskey, to learn more.  Her passion and understanding spoke loud and clear and what she has done for others, who were so desperately sick, left me speechless.  I found out Essential7 is family owned and operated along with her son since 2012, however was originally founded in 1997 in Rosewell, NM.  Due to the low overhead cost they are now able to provide affordable prices and distribute not only in the states but all over the world.  She shared her mission to be able to make the oils available to everyone, no matter what the circumstances may be.  Having had horrible stomach issues since she was a child, Chalyce can definitely understand how challenging conditions such as gastroparesis can be and currently focuses on those like you and I who are struggling with this.

Hence came along Kate's Happy Tummy, a soothing blend of peppermint, spearmint and black pepper to assist with digestion and GI troubles.  In yesterday's post I shared Kate's story, who by the age of 14 had dealt with severe vomiting, nausea and abdominal pain for most of her life.  This blend was created at the time specifically for Kate to help her recover.  Today, at the age of 18, she is a happy and healthy young woman with a bright future ahead, having found a way to manage her symptoms.

As mentioned in the previous post, Chalyce is a certified aromatherapist and also Vice President of Aromatherapy for the Natural Therapies Certification Board.  As an IV certified medical assistant in Golden, CO she conducted extensive research on the role of natural therapies and nutrition to solve complex medical challenges.  She has assisted clients with conditions such as MRSA, antibiotic-resistant infections, women's health, and gastroparesis to name a few.  Chalyce has dedicated her life to finding the right blend of 100% pure, therapeutic oils as well as using nutrition to drastically improve the lives of others.

On the Essential7 website you can view a selection of oils recommended under the tab Shop by Categories then select Healing GP.  There are a variety of choices, perhaps a little overwhelming to pick and choose what may best help you.  Due to the success rates of those Chalyce has worked with who have gastroparesis and the combination of oils used, Essential7 now carries a GP Starter Kit, also found in the same section.  If you are on Facebook I would highly suggest joining the private group to learn more and get support from others along the way.  

My experience so far?  For starters, I get compliments everywhere I go now on how lovely I smell! So that's a plus haha.  But most important, I have had days where it was possible to eat 3 small meals with less pain, a big step from the two I normally can only take in.  And I feel more grounded, can take a deeper breath and honestly just a tad more confident in my ability to manage symptoms.  This is just the beginning so I promise to share more as this experiment continues.  

In addition I am excited to be collaborating with Chalyce on her new book, Wisdom by Nature, A New Approach to Feeling Your Best While Living with Gastroparesis, which we hope to have available by fall.  It will be filled with research, ideas and experience that she has to offer (which have helped her clients along the way) as well as recipes to try for some nourishing and tasty food to make when starting out. I'll keep you posted as this comes together and how you can get your copy right away!  All funds will go directly to non-profit Wisdom by Nature, a grassroots 501c4 with a multi-purpose approach to helping the many challenges of severe digestive motility disorders. WBN has the following mission:

  • Research Funding to aid in future studies on the positive effects of essential oils for gastroparesis. The first successful study will soon be published in the Holistic Nursing Practice journal.  
  • Provide Employment Opportunities to people who have had to live on disability due to their health challenges but are now thriving and getting their lives back.
  • Create Care packages available to those with financial difficulties. Due to the severity of this illness many have resulted to disability, medical debt and little to no funds left to use towards this approach.  Currently there is not enough funding to continue helping the people who need it most.

Until then, make sure to check out the website and give the oils a try as well as join us on FB for all the information and support you need.  

With kindness, 
Stephanie 





No comments:

Post a Comment