Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Taping the Tube and Deep Breathing Continues


Great News:  The doctors called on Monday morning and decided that it would be better and obviously less invasive to continue to tape the tiniest of tiny hole in my tube instead of going back in and having it replaced.  Apparently, they had to remove the latex part of the tube due to an allergy that could have caused the hole, which inevetibly could happen again.  So, the journey continues, slowly and one day at a time.
I went to have acupuncture today and it did wonders for my anxiety.  The idea of this tube is a little overwhelming at times, as well as accepting my body not being able to do much for myself right now while I recover.  Luckily, I'm surrounded by support (husband and mother ESPECIALLY!) and don't know what I would do without everyone.  It can be hard to accept the help but learning to receive can be as great of a gift as giving, good for both the heart and soul.
That said, a technique I often turn to to reduce anxiety and bring myself to the present moment is called pranayama breathing (click for instructions).  According to Yoga Journal it has a  "mysterious power to soothe and revitalize a tired body, a flagging spirit, or a wild mind."  


Please share any techniques you have for dealing with anxiety during trying times!
Stephanie

1 comment:

  1. I am going through your blog...I find it so inspiring to see people fighting for a better quality of life when it comes to GP. I was also diagnosed in 2008. You had asked about my stomach...I had a roux en y total gastrectomy also in 2008. My esophagus is attached directly to my intestines, my problem now is that my colon does not properly contract...so basically its like my old stomach...it doesn't empty. I am no longer on TPN, I am on a liquid diet, but I do eat crackers and chips, and the occasional bowl of PHO (lol) at this point, it doesn't really matter, I am at the end of all traditional medicines. My doctors do not want to take my colon out because then I would have no digestive system at all (gallbladder was removed in 2008 as well) Right now I am currently waiting for a FDA study for a Colonic pacemaker. Keeping my fingers crossed :) I will be following your blog...I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete