Friday, December 30, 2011

Cheers to 2012 GP Style!


Just because alcohol is not on the GP diet, that doesn't mean we can't celebrate the New Year with a festive drink.  I've been through the misery of feeling sorry for myself as I watch everyone else drink cocktails, wanting nothing more than to be part of the celebration.  Don't get me wrong, there have been moments of weakness when I give in and have a drink.  However, to this day, it has never been worth the pain afterwards.  What I came to finally realize is nobody really cares whether I drink or not, it's all about my own attitude.  When I'm confident, enjoying the company and festivities, everything else is forgotten and suddenly I am a part of the celebration.  

So, we can have fun with drinks too!  Here are a couple ideas, warm and cold, I plan to include over the weekend as we bring in 2012.  If you care to include additional drinks of your own, go ahead and share.  Just think of your favorite drink and substitute GP friendly fruits/beverages for the alcohol.  Also, here is a great website with hundreds of virgin drink ideas http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/8/.

Back in the day, which now seems like another lifetime ago, my favorite warm drink on a cold winter night was a hot toddy.  It is a blend of hot water, lemon, whiskey, cinnamon and honey.  Friends would pick on me because I misunderstood the drink to be called a "hottie toddy" and proceed to order it this way, always forgetting the correct name.  So, now that I'm creating my own drink, we'll call it what we want!
Roobios tea contains extremely high amounts of antioxidants and minerals.  And most important acts as an antispasmodic agent, relieving stomach cramps.  Especially nourishing to anyone with digestive issues.


Hottie Toddy Tea 

Steep a bag of Roobios tea for 5-10 minutes.  If you have cinnamon sticks go ahead and add a couple while steeping.
Stir in fresh lemon juice and a tsp of honey* and top with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.  Feel your insides calm and warm as you slowly sip this tasty tea.

*If you are sensitive to FODMAPs substitute maple syrup.  The flavor will be different but still add sweetness.


If you prefer something more on the tropical cocktail side go for the colada blend...

Banana Colada 

1/2 banana
1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/3 cup pineapple juice
2 tbsp lite coconut milk
1/2 tsp allspice
ice optional

Place all ingredients in blender and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy the holiday. Been reading about your journey. Very inspiring. Best. G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your drinks sound delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, hope you get a chance to try them. Good anytime of the year! I've been making my own almond milk which makes smoothie type drinks or even teas that much better : )

    ReplyDelete