Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Post Procedure: Healing with Love, Rest and Soup

Another procedure survived!  It's sad when going under anesthesia becomes as common as the yearly check up, especially at the age of 32.  I can't even actually count how many times I've been through it, though it still feels like a strange and confusing place to be.  When we arrived at the clinic, my husband in tow with our entertainment bag of phones, Ipads and magazines, I went through the usual paperwork (no, I don't need a copy of the HIPPA practices I have signed a hundred plus times), clinical questions and dressing in the oversized hospital gown that makes you feel like you have disappeared under a king size bed sheet.  T and I got cozy, him playing a game on Ipad and me drooling over summer recipes in the latest Real Simple (don't ask me why I torture myself).

All was good, no worries and ready to get it over with, when in comes Dr. P.  He looks dissatisfied with my decision, and again tells me his thoughts on how removing the tube is a terrible idea.  My eyes well up with tears and suddenly I'm not feeling so confident.  T holds my hand, looks me in the eyes and tells me not to worry, this IS the right choice.  So, I take a deep breath and I'm whisked away to the procedure room.  The mask goes on, countdown begins and next thing I know I'm blinking my eyes open in recovery.  T is looking at me with relief and says, "lets get you home and comfortable."  I can't feel anything and can barely keep my eyes open but know that I can't wait to get out of there.
Today the soreness really went to a new level and because heavy pain killers cause constipation, a problem hard enough to deal with already, I result to Ibuprofen, rest and deep breathing.  The PICC line nurse came to change my dressing this morning and also helped me change the dressing on the now tube-free belly.  It wasn't pretty but she assured me it looked great for being so soon and is healing just fine.  Hooray!  Oh how I can't wait for the pain to subside and to be able to stretch into downward dog again!!!
My sweet mother-in-law took me to get some labs done for food allergy testing (more to come on this experiment soon), then dropped in the grocery store to pick up my list and stock me up for the week.  After lying down for a bit to rest at home, I had enough energy to make this nourishing a delicious soup for dinner.  It was just thrown in with no measurements, but this recipe can give you an idea of what came together.  I made this with homemade broth from my freezer in mind.  Gelatin from the broth is very healing for the gut, helping to repair damaged tissue, especially after trauma such as surgery and j-tubes!

Rosemary Potato Chowder

1/2 lb cod or other mild fish
1 sweet potato
1 yukon gold potato
Coconut oil
Fresh rosemary
Broth of choice
Coconut milk
Sea salt

Turn oven to 400.

Peel and chop potatoes, finely chop rosemary.  Heat enough oil on medium heat in saute pan to coat, toss in potatoes and rosemary, let simmer.  Place fish on a large piece of parchment paper or foil and loosely fold over ends to make a pouch.  Place on a cookies sheet in oven and set timer for 12 minutes. Begin heating a cup of broth, small amount of coconut (1/8-1/4 cup), add in enough potatoes for your meal and cover allowing to simmer.  The rest can be placed in a covered baking dish in oven for another 12-15 minutes.
When fish is done, add 2-3 oz to soup and with spatula mash some of it in the pan, giving it a chowder texture.  Season with sea salt to taste and enjoy!  The remaining potatoes and fish can be used in other dishes over the next couple of days or, if you prefer, made into another soup.




No comments:

Post a Comment